Thinking about video
So what if we started doing video? On the blog. Just started talking. Just like this.
Use what you have
Yesterday I bought the domain for the “all in the family” project. Now I need to set up our email for my partner and me.
Last year, I bought additional licenses and force people to use Microsoft Office. I had to write a blog post to help our sales guys connect Outlook to HubSpot. What a waste of time, especially since the product we sold was wrong. 2020, so many hard lessons.
But not in 2021. We use what we have. I will only consider using new software when what we have doesn’t work anymore.
Look, I don’t know if this is the right more, but the restrictions and doing less could reduce the pain of failure. Also, doing less cuts down on my tendency to feel good doing busy work.
Restriction is your friend.
I’m limiting myself to using only personal messaging apps with the people I’m working with. If we need Slack it means we’re overcomplicating things. Slack is for companies. If we are not making money we’re not a company. So until we’re a company I’m only using Messenger and WhatsApp. Restriction forces you to do less. Doing less is your friend.
How I plan to write 104 posts
At the time of this post, I have 3,972 draft posts in WordPress. That is where I store ideas and posts that aren’t ready for the world.
It takes seven steps to create a draft on my iPhone; Open up the WordPress App, Select the Anthony Barba site from my 3 other sites, Tap on the create a new button, Tap on create a blog post, write a headline, and a few notes about what I want to talk about, Then the 3 dots, Then Save as Draft.
This week I started saving post ideas in Apple notes. I liked it. Then I tried doing it with Siri. I love it. All I do is say, ‘Hey Siri, create a note’ and dictate the possible Title.
On Tuesday, while walking to the subway station I saved an idea as a title. Then I started dictating the post that turned out to be good enough to post. I cut and paste the notes into WordPress on the subway ride home. Since I am writing as no one reads them I published it while walking to my apartment. The next morning I revisited the live post and made some edits.
I set a goal to write 2 posts a week to gain more clarity, become a better communicator, and make better decisions. Dictating posts into Apple Notes at night and editing them in the morning will help me hit my goal.
Don’t beat ’em. Join ’em?
A question I asked myself today was, why don’t I find people who are building great products and offer my services instead of looking for people to help build my products? This is the complete opposite of what I’ve been doing for the past 10 years. That’s didn’t work so good. If I want a different outcome I can’t continue doing what I’ve been doing.
And that’s exactly what I did today. I contacted someone building a product almost identical to what I want to build. I asked if I can help him grow. Regardless if he calls back and I hope he does it was a good exercise putting myself out there.
Just launch it.
I have an idea. I want to put it on Product Hunt to see if it has legs. Something is blocking me from doing it. Whatever that thing inside of me that stopping me has robbed me much happiness in my life.
Fuck it. I’m going spend 3 days on this idea and launch it on Wednesday.
Nice! 26% opened in under an hour.
People seem to have liked the Coronavirus free edition of the newsletter. I had a 26% open rate within the first hour. This one was a bitch to write so this feels great that it was well-received.
This is also encouraging that I could the move the newsletter to Fridays. Doing the newsletter on Wednesdays breaks up the week and destroys the momentum that I build on Monday and Tuesday. Think I’ll make this official in the next edition.
- Going for a walk on the beach. Field Five Robert Moses. It’s been a long 12 days. Feels good.
- Senate passes the bailout bill.
- The Obama team is amazing. They just released an iPhone recruiting, campaign tool. Gotta give credit where it’s due.
- British Airways refunded my hotel & meals for a canceled flight. Also, gave me a $200 credit for my next flight? Thanks for valuing my time.
- Today was a good day back. Made some positive progress on theClozing with Joe & got a surprise voice mail from my favorite real estate agent
- So wait. Barry Frank’s gay lover Herb Moses was a Fannie Mae exec. while they pushed relaxed lending restrictions.
- It’s so nice and peaceful to wake up in the middle of the night, do some great work for a couple-three hour and sneak back to bed.
- Howard Stern got married in NYC Friday. Guests @ Le Cirque, incl Joan Rivers, Barbara Walters, Billy Joel, Sarah Silverman & Robin Quivers
- Queen Latifah will play Gwen Ifill, on “SNL” this week.
- WTF? Is this viral marketing for Ghost Buster 3? There isn’t even an approved script yet. I like Akroyd more now.
- Went to 7-11 to get my Blueberry Coffee. They only had Obama cups. An employee said, “You think we’re stupid?” We sold out of the McCain cups.
- “I’ll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash ya got.” Just finished watching Raising Arizona with the Little Misses.
- Planning with @malte in the West Village. Think I need to find my passport tonight.
- I’m at the MLS Tech Fair on Long Island. Let’s see what new in Real Estate Technology.
- Working from the Sellsius booth @ the MLS Real Estate Tech Fair today. Gave a few industry people a sneak peek of http://theclozing.com.
- Settling into the couch to watch the debate. Met & had dinner with interesting people after the Tech Fair w Joe. I’ll follow-up tomorrow.
- Got a sneak peek at http://SkiNet.com TV. The player looks great & there’s plenty of good content. Can’t wait to go skiing this season.
- Damn. The National Debt Clock in NYC has run out of digits. Video History of Clock
- “Sometimes, they come up and bribe me with a cigarette, or they’ll give me a dollar to sign up”
- Let’s see how long I can go without watching, reading or listening to the news. What will I miss? Can I make it 24 hours?
- I did it. 24 hours with no political news. Spending the day in the Hamptons with Bea to recharge.
- Woke up in the middle of the night. Checked email, IM’d w/ Colorado & Germany. Watched XTC Video & didn’t check Drudge. News Embargo day two.
- I did it. No political/financial news over the weekend. I feel less stressed and more productive. Great because I have tons of work to do.
- I just got interviewed about Rezorter.com for Outside Magazine. Very cool.
- I like totally love the jetpack-tshirt.
- Wrote my first update. It’ll be the last post on that site since we’ve moved the blog off Blogspot.
- @JFSellsius has written the first post about our joint project called theClozing.com.
- Very pleased with the number of real estate blog submissions we’ve gotten for www.theclozing.com in only 10 hours.
- Had another very long, but productive day polishing the business plan & pitch presentation for the VC’s we’re meeting in Berlin next week.
- BUFFETT: Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.
- Why does Yahoo charge its users for decent spam, virus & phishing protection? Yahoo has so much potential.
- Who Ray. I just found my German cell phone!
- Back in Berlin. Off to grab breakfast with @Malte. When can I find a dark brewed coffee in Mitte?
- They speak German in Berlin too? Everyone around me at cafe St. Oberholz is speaking English. My attempt to ordered in German failed again.
- Planning my day 4.0. Will be at Lunch 2.0 at noon.
- Why can’t there be a blogging software as simple and robust to use as when you are logged into Facebook?
- Back in my office today. Reaching out to everyone I met whilst in Berlin. So many interesting people doing interesting things.
- VistaPrint screwed me out of almost $200 by signing me up for PASSPORTTOFUN without my permission. One of those cancel after 30 days hit jobs
- The Economist endorsed Obama (2008), Kerry (2004), Bush (2000), Dole (1996), Clinton (1992), no-one (1988, 1984) & Reagan (1980)
- Now I remember why I’m such a huge Lost fan. Just watched the new season 5 promo
- Any suggestions for a weekend get-away destination close to NYC?
- We’re Nantucket bound. Made the executive decision to drive to Hyannis tonight & we’ll take the first Ferry over tomorrow with our bikes.
LIRR Monitoring Program
Recent Entries to the Montauk LIRR Activity Log Posts:
2004-07-09 @ 10:15pm — Red “BUDWEISER” bar carts outside LIRR office trailer, looks like they just got done w/ a party there. Hope the LIRR crew is not drinking Budweiser before “driving” trains back West!
2004-06-14 @ 4:03am — Super loud HORN BLASTING @ 4am CONTINUES! This seems like some kind personal vendetta and is w/o question an abuse of power, resulting from total lack of supervision.
2004-06-27 @ 5:53am — 502 still HIGH – IDLING, Fuel Guage reads 1770 Gallons. That means the LIRR crew burned 50 GALLONS of deisel in about 1-1/2 hours… just to run the A/C. THAT IS A HUGE WASTE!!!
2004-06-08 @ 4:44am — Train woke me up, left running unattended at EXTREMELY LOUD high-idle. End car of train “blacked-out”, LIRR crew probably sleeping. Hundreds of people are being disturbed by a 3000HP deisel locomotive so LIRR crew can CATCH A SNOOZE instead of doing their job (while on duty & getting paid no less)!
Read More: [Montauk LIRR Activity Log]